Thursday, January 22, 2009

St. Elizabeth's of Hungary

I created too much suspense for myself-so, here's the segment about St. Elizabeths.

Part of the challenge for the Metro Food Bank was to spend three hours donating our time to either St. Elizabeth's or to the Food Bank of the Rockies. I it's a cosmically synchronic moment of my life wherein I give back. My existence is in part due to the kindness of strangers in providing me with food, so I did both. Felipe and Erik also did both. Chantay and Jeannine went to the Food Bank of the Rockies two different times...a feat to be sure. I will tell you about the FBR later.

St. Elizabeth's is located on campus! I know I didn't know that all the building weren't about us. St. Elizabeth's is a church with real mass and everything. It's gorgeous on the inside and during mass is seeped in tradition. I love it because I have always loved mass or any other church I have been too were you can feel faith wrapped around you like bacon wrapped shrimp...ahhhh...all this food talk has made my stomach grumble and me oh so hungry. Alas my bacon-wrapped-shrimp days are far behind me when my family used to pay for dinner and the economy wasn't so iffy.

Back to St. Elizabeth's...the soup kitchen is located in the basement. Liz, a lovely lady, is one of those character's who is always moving, is the manager. She is joyful and effervescent in a way that cannot be described and would probably make most people tired. Well, imagine it. It's sunday morning. I know you already want to go back to bed now. But honestly what a lady. She makes homemade soup for over 100 people, last Sunday it was a delicious turkey soup. Bob, one of the volunteers put in chili pepper, he does the additional flavoring-and helps Liz with everything in the morning. Bob, Felipe, Erik and I made over 180 sandwiches that morning. We then served nearly 130 homeless citizens of our nation.

No comments: