Monday, April 27, 2009

Over the weekend.

I have been going to a restaurant here in Lakewood for many years, the owner Tom knows my family really well. Conversely we know his family really well. His eldest daughter was a Bronco cheerleader. This is what gave me the idea to ask a celebrity to be at the event. I pursued the idea only to find out written notice must be sent to all athletes. I spoke with a deputy communications officer for Gov. Ritter to see if we could have him come out for us, and understandably so, Gov. Ritter is extremely busy, so we would have to ask about six to eight weeks in advance.

Hopefully, we will be able to create gift bags for the kids who are participating in the events on Wednesday and Thursday. I found BMI's for kids, a rare commodity! I met with a woman at a clinic, Rae, and she gave me paperwork for healthy snacks for kids, bmi's and gave me a ton of Healthy Living Packets with some goodies in them. She gave me about everything she had, which was very sweet! We still have a ton of water bottles from the Comcast project and Chantay will be bringing those so we can put them in the gift bags.

Tomorrow, hopefully we can get the donations we need from community participants that will help with sustainability in the long run. The idea is that we foster sustainability in a healthy walking program by offering incentives to the parents. If we send a child home with a $50 grocery card, then perhaps the parents will motivate the child or better yet become involved in motivating others. Jesse and I are working on getting donations for granola bars and other healthy foods. Currently Live Well Colorado slices apples and the kids LOVE it! However, Jesse and I think that by offering additional goodies, we keep it a surprise and unpredictable for the kids. Then there is always an incentive for the kids!

No comments: